Dental Implants in Rancho Bernardo
In times where look matters a lot, cosmetic dental procedures have gained a lot of popularity. Dental implants are the most comfortable and efficient treatment for tooth loss. Designed to blend in perfectly with natural teeth, dental implants are the best option to restore your smile.
What is dental implant?
Dental implants are fixed dental prosthesis made of a titanium screw which is inserted into the jaw to mimic tooth root and an abutment which supports a crown which resembles the natural tooth. The crown can be replaced by bridges when there are multiple gaps to fill in or even by dentures fitted onto two or more implants for additional support.
Dental implant procedure
The dental implant treatment is a three-stage procedure. The first stage involves the initial examination, during which the dentist will establish if your bone jaw bone is healthy and can support the implant. If the bone has started to retract, a bone reconstruction surgery can be made to provide additional support for the implant. If the bone is in good condition, the dentist will proceed with inserting a titanium post in the bone socket left empty by the tooth loss. This procedure is done under local anesthesia. Once the post is inserted, the bone and gum tissue will build-up around it, fixing it further in the jaw. The healing period depends on the person, but a complete healing is usually achieved after 6 to 12 weeks.
The second stage involves placing an abutment, a small connection between the crown and the titanium root. Depending on the gap size, the abutment is chosen so to hold best a crown, bridge or a denture. At this stage, the dentist takes impressions of the neighboring and opposite teeth to create the crown or bridge. When the upper part of the implant is ready, you will be called for fitting. Adjustments are made on the spot, and when the crown is felt perfect, it is cemented into place.
A post-implant session may be needed to make sure the healing process is completed successfully.
Advantages of a dental implant
- Provides a functional tooth which is connected to the jaw bone;
- Does not affect neighboring teeth;
- Prevents neighboring teeth from moving or distorting because of the tooth gap;
- Is similar in appearance to your natural tooth;
- Improves speech, because a missing tooth may alter your way of speaking;
- Is durable and if taken care properly can last a lifetime;
- Does not need special maintenance, apart from your regular dental hygiene routine.
Dental implants revolutionized modern dentistry. Whether used for single tooth loss or as a support for dental bridges, they are the best option you have to cover those missing teeth. Call your dentist and see how dental implants can change your life!
Types of Dental Implants
Keeping your jaw bone structure in mind, here are four kinds of dental implants to choose from:
- Root Form: It is suggested if the jawbone is good in height, dense and width to hold the round shaped implant. Here, the implant is made of the bone.
- Plate Form: It is suggested if the jawbone is of good height and dense, but lacks the necessary width. Here the implant is placed in the bone but is placed at another place than the original root.
- Subperiosteal form: It is suggested if the jawbone lacks the required height, width and density to support an implant. It is done under the gum tissues.
Contact US to know which dental implants will work the best for you.